Stephansplatz (Stephan Square) is a square in Neustadt quarter, Hamburg, Germany.
The square is named after German Empire post director Heinrich von Stephan, who is known for his role in the founding of the Universal Postal Union.
The Alte Oberpostdirektion (Old Hamburg Post Office Administration) building was constructed from 1883 to 1887 and was expanded in 1897. It extends over a length of 300 meters between the Gorch-Fock-Wall, the Dammtorwall, the Dammtorstraße and the Jungiusstraße in the district of Hamburg-Mitte.
The palatial main building is built in neo-renaissance style. It has three corner towers; the elevated tower at the junction Gorch-Fock-Wall / Dammtorstraße carries a golden statue of Mercury. The sculptures, designed by Engelbert Pfeiffer, make reference to the postal system, the telephone and telegraphy.
The building is now used as a shopping centre and medical care centre.
October 12th, 2019
Viewed 254 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 03/16/2023 at 9:39 AM