St. James' Church (Hauptkirche St. Jacobi) is one of the five principal churches (Hauptkirchen) of Hamburg. In 1529, it became a Lutheran church. It is located directly in the city centre, has a 125 m tall tower and features a famous organ by Arp Schnitger from 1693. It is dedicated to St. James the Greater. The history of the church goes back to 1255 when St. James' was a small Roman Catholic chapel located outside the Hamburg city walls. After these were extended in 1260, it became part of the Hamburg city territory. From 1806 to 1813, when Hamburg was occupied by Napoleonic troops, the church was used mainly as stables. The second tower, erected in 1826/27 after the previous one had become dilapidated, was destroyed in 1944, along with the rest of the church building, by bombing during World War II. Only the historic interior furnishings were saved. It was not until 1963 that St. James' re-emerged, built to the medieval design, albeit with a modern spire.
December 2nd, 2019
Viewed 496 Times - Last Visitor from Shenzhen, 30 - China on 03/21/2023 at 1:48 AM